Friday, July 30, 2010

Raise Update

Well I said I would post an update to all the events that have been happening. This is number 4 on the list.

My Raise is on my mind today because as I was going through old text files and posting them I came to the origional post I had written to be excited I was getting a raise and how I was going to re-invest it into my savings.

Well... it turns out that my raise ended up being an increase of $2.57 yep you read it right. The cost of medical benefits went up on July 1 just as my raise came in. And basically it all went to the cost of health care. (And people wonder why the middle class can't get ahead?)

I also received an email today from the parking services. They are raising the cost of parking to be 120 bucks. (I think that works out to an increase of $5.00 per pay period.) Now because my raise was $2.57 per pay period. I am about to be $2.50 in the hole.... till January when I switch my medical benefits plan. And that is before I jump to the next bracket in health care once my DD is born. Ahhhh Sigh.

Well. There it is. Another year of a wash in increase in pay. I really need a moonlighting position. I just don't know what I can do. I have web dev skills, I have book keeping skills. Its finding the clients that want those skills and will allow me to work from home that is the challenge.

All things considered I am glad I got the raise because otherwise this post would be about keeping my health care benefits is costing me money to work and what are my options. As it stands I am still making the change to a different plan in Jan. I hate the plan I have. But I am taking maximum advantage of it... C-Section, tubes in my son's ears and thyroid surgery. At least they didn't make any money off me ;-)

2 comments:

Grace. said...

Does your employer allow transportation expenses to be flexed? Then, at least, you'd be paying for your parking with pre-tax dollars.

road less traveled said...

@ Grace Parking is pre-tax dollars yes.