Saturday, November 08, 2008

Actions defining my priorities.

After reading paid twice's blog entry here (http://www.paidtwice.com/2008/11/06/actions-define-priorities/) which I read every time she posts. I started thinking about my actions and my priorities. My #1 concern is paying down as much debt as possible before the baby goes into day care and I have to shift my priorities. I spend money on my daughter and now my children. I rarely buy myself clothing. I rarely buy items to decorate the house although last month I spent $10.00 on some hand towels for the down stairs powder room. Mostly because we are having guests on thanksgiving and I want that bathroom to be clean. Sadly I spent a lot of money on food this month. Gestational Diabetes is a bear to maintain so making sure my sugar levels are where they need to be for the baby I do spend more money on foods. And the volume of food is increased from what I normally eat (even though I did not gain a single pound this week)

Last week I spent some time indulging my renewed passion in Cross stitch. So far it's just looking. I have decided that what I want for Christmas is to be able to purchase some cross stitch supplies. And I would also like subscriptions to stitching magazines. I miss the hobby. I love reading the blogs and seeing posted progress of other people's ideas. It's also going to be a long winter with a new born and I know that with my daughter it was cross stitch that saved my sanity the first time around. I fully expect for it to work again. But I want to act within the confines of my budget. Any hobby can go awry quickly with spending on things that you don't need. Cross stitch is no exception. But if DH is going to get me a gift for Christmas isn't it okay to get what I want??? It may also be possible to ask mom for stuff too. That way the big green eyed monster will keep me in check before my actions override my priorities.

Actions and priorities... Shouldn't your priorities define your actions and not your actions define your priorities?? That is to say set your goals. Decide what you really want for your life and then keep your actions within those goals. There are no perfect people so slipping up like shopping for the powder room last month are the little indiscretions that take place outside of the boundaries you have set for yourself. But coming back to realign my priorities... That's what counts. Always returning to my goals. Paying off my Credit Card debt. That is first for me. When I first began this journey I limited everything. Now that I am in the rhythm of the process its going okay.

What do you spend your money on?

Children, debt, food & shelter. In that order.

What do you go without or spend less on?

Clothing for myself. Decorating the house.

We don't get movies except on the rare occasion. As things move forward I will spend less on food. I continue to budget for work clothing. I rarely buy anything for lounge around the house clothing. We are cutting back our cable. We gave up the home phone. We use cells only.

What are you saving for?

#1 is having an Emergency fund. I keep $2000. Because I feel with children you need that extra and above the Dave Ramsey rule.

#2 is a down payment for a home and closing costs.

What percentage do you save?

I don't do it as a function of a percentage. I received some money from my grandmother and I have set aside that for closing costs. If we were to purchase a home right now we would have to finance 100% of the cost. This is possible for us because my DH is eligible for a VA loan. We have not been really looking at homes however so it's a pretty long way off.

My budget is pretty bare bones. It took a year to get there. It was NOT overnight. I want to be out of debt. It seems like a long time to go without buying pretty things for yourself. I have found that my children are Very expensive and they are my main priorities. DH is an awesome man and financially he has really kicked it up in terms of budget. We keep separate checking accounts. This is because we manage money differently and I would be really uncomfortable managing my money the same way he does. Having been married before I like it separate. We agree on common spending items and we agree on most of the priorities.

I am feeling comfortable with our choices. Health care evaluations are this weekend. I need to decide which plan will be best for us. It was much easier when its just me. and I find very difficult to plan for the unknown.

No comments: