Monday, June 16, 2008

Keeping up the Debt Lifestyle

The debt life style. I am trying very hard not to have a debt lifestyle. I have noticed subtle changes inn my life to this end. I enjoy getting the mail. I actually look forward to getting the mail and opening the bills to see that I have made progress on my debt reduction. Even though its slow it is monthly progress. I have a three year plan. I am not sure right now that it will happen but I do have a plan. I am trying to make it happen. Murphy's law - that ole Murphy he likes to visit though. I am starting to change how I handle things though.

I believe debt does not need to be a part of my life. I know that I promised my daughter a new ipod for her graduation gift. I also know that she needs a 6 month supply of contact lenses. I have most of that money set aside for the cost. I will have to take some from savings but that is why I am putting money into savings. Its a good plan. It works. Ant truth be told her needing contact lenses is not a Murphy expense it is a planned expense and I had a plan.

One of my wake up calls happened when I realized I could no longer make all the minimum payments on the cards I had. I knew then something had to change. Last month I put over $400.00 to principle. I have changed my ways. I used to feel like debt was just a part of my life because of the decisions I had made and the choices I made. It was just a burden I carried like a rock that comes with me everywhere I go. Well I choose to put down the rock. I choose today to be debt free.

Advertising is all around us every day. My daughter is so susceptible to it. She has these ideas of what she "needs" for college based on things she has seen. I keep encouraging her to wait and see what she truly needs. I want her to understand that spending money on stuff you don't need now robs tomorrow of what you may need then.

Using a credit card means that you don't have the money right now. It also means you will not have money for the next year while you pay down what you are using it for off. Are you really willing to trade tomorrow's spending money on a quick bite to eat in that restaurant. Is the peer pressure so great that you cant do with out it? Going into debt means you have to work at that job you don't like - for a little longer and it will take your youth.

Each Summer I go on vacation to the beach with friends. Keeping up with the Jones' has always been an issue. They allow their kids to pick out a sweatshirt or a t shirt or outfits that all match. I have mostly resisted. I tend to allow my daughter one item she would like to last for the year as a reminder of the fun week she had. She has always been mostly okay

They all make more money then I do. but I think I enjoy what I have more then they do. Does that sound weird? They run from place to place each day. I tend to be a bit more of a home body. I feel like I have more quiet moments with my daughter and my future baby.

Maybe it is just a matter of style

No comments: