Monday, January 07, 2008

Balance transfer madness

I recently transferred two balances from 29.9% rates to 3.9% for the life of the balance transfer. It was totally worth the 150.00 transfer fee. I wanted to see it work in the numbers though so I looked for a way to explain it.... Two bloggers mevsdebt and gradmoneymatters gave me the bones to work this out.



Target Card #1


Balance: $5000
Promotional APR: 3.99%
Transfer Fee: 150.00
Offer end Date: Fixed for life of balance transfer
Standard APR 18.24%
Default APR: 29.99%

So I wanted to do the calculations to determine that transferring a balance $5000.00 was a good choice.

If you only paid the minimum, it would take you 6001 months, and cost you $9,356,167,615,686,400.00 in interest. Information I have never seen before. Thats lovely. Is that even real money?

2nd try with better numbers......

@ current rate of interest 29.9%. It'll take you 618 months (that's over 51 years) to pay back $5,000 if you only pay the required minimum of 3.00%. Over that period of time, you'll pay an additional $18,906.61 in interest.

If you could afford to pay an extra $10 a month towards your credit card debt, it would mean you'd repay it in 223 months (just over 18 years) and you'd save yourself $8,514.01 in interest. In fact, if you could afford an extra $25 a month, you'd repay it in 128 months (just over 10 years), and save $12,303.06.
--------------------------------
@ 3.99 It'll take you 233 months (that's over 19 years) to pay back $5,000 if you only pay the required minimum of 2.00%. Over that period of time, you'll pay an additional $947.62 in interest.

If you could afford to pay an extra $10 a month towards your credit card debt, it would mean you'd repay it in 129 months (just over 10 years) and you'd save yourself $238.20 in interest. In fact, if you could afford an extra $25 a month, you'd repay it in 87 months (just over 7 years), and save $406.29.


hmmmm 51 years vs 19 years. Yep it was a good choice. Of course I will not be doing the min balance forever I intend to step it up! over the life of the card the savings was $18906.61 - 947.62 = 17958.99 - that is 1/2 of a down payment on a $400.000 house. Now why on earth would I want to give the bank that much of my money? The answer is I don't.

Right now my balance on the #1 Target card (first card to pay off) is $12049.90. I will pay down $3000 when my mom sends me some cash. I will pay down another $1000.00 when I get the tax refund. Which leaves me with a balance of $8049.90. My goal is to have it paid off by the June 2009. I am going to get a second job. I will pay off my debt. I cant live this way. I want to own a home of my own. For the first time in my life I do believe it will happen. I have known for a while that this card was bad for me to have but making changes is much harder then saying you will make a change. I can do this though. I am determined.

Long term goal: I have 5 credit cards. I want to be out of debt in 5 years. I can do it. If I keep paying off $1000.00 on debt. I will be able to achieve debt free eventually. I thought it would be easier and I am realizing its not going to be that easy. It is going to be time consuming but I can do it.

The calculator I used is here.... http://www.whatsthecost.com/creditCard.aspx



UPDATE: I added the credit card to my side bar. This will be my focus for paying off this year.


I am not a financial professional. If you are looking for financial advise you should seek it elsewhere. If you would like to join me on the journey, walk with me for a while and be my friend......

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Wow! These numbers are incredible. I never even considered how long it would take to pay off a card at the minimum payment.

Fixed for life @ 3.9% is a great deal! Good find. You're going to notice something in a couple of months. That company that used to charge you 29.9%... maybe you've asked them to lower your rate and they refused? All of the sudden its going to start slipping down as they try to entice you back. But you're not going to fall for it.

It sounds like you have a perfectly reasonable plan and you'll be sitting in your own home without worrying about paying those credit card bills before you know it :)

Thanks for the mention, it really means a lot to me to have inspired even one person to start getting out of debt!