Thursday, January 06, 2011

New Years Reading

Reading has become front and center this week. I have a new set of glasses and I literally see things in a new way. I also asked for and received a kindle for Christmas. I just finished reading the girl with the dragon tattoo. I now understand why it was on the best seller list for so long. It was quite a compelling read. I am torn between downloading the next book or taking a break and organizing my Cross stitch. Some Combo there in I think I will find balance. Typically I alternate - Read, Stitch, do a project, Read, stitch, do a project. In the last two years I have not been doing much reading. That is unusual for me. I love to read and my desk is quite covered in books. Currently there are a LOT of SharePoint books. This is good as I move forward in trying to expand my career and increase my salary.

Yesterday I was rebuilding my computer at work and I discovered a new Mozilla Add on. It is fabulous. I am so thrilled. I did not like the new look of Bloglines and while I had been a faithful Bloglines subscriber I have a new solution. I do still like netvibes. But the Feedly add-on in Firefox is SO cool. I am content. I have done more reading this week then in the past 4 months. I am starting to feel that I am back. This is good.

Here are some of the blogs I would recommend to a reader:


10 personal finance blogs I love:

  1. Clever Dude I like reading about the personal finance journey. Clever posts often with info I like to explore. In short his blog makes me think and I like that.
  2. Boston Gal Boston the city has a special place in my heart so when I started reading Boston's blog I really enjoyed her thoughts. It reminds me of someone I know. She also does a huge amount of reading and sends me to other sources I would not have read.
  3. Graceful Retirement I really like Grace. She has a saucy way of looking at things and I really enjoy getting to know her.
  4. Man vs Debt Lots of resources. Interesting read.
  5. Lazy man and money The title appeals to me. Should I be the lazy woman regarding debt. I think it would be better if I applied "Gazelle intensity"! LOL
  6. No Credit Needed - This guy I followed closely and really enjoyed. Lately he does not post as often and I read it less. But go through the archives and share his journey. Very cool and interesting.
  7. Fabulous Financials I really like single Ma's tude. She cracks me up. I don't agree with everything she does but I love being on the journey. I guess I relate because I was single for so long with a DD too.
  8. Wise Bread Lots of resources around the net. Variety of ideas, always something new.
  9. Blogging Away Debt
  10. We're in Debt

I read hundreds of Craft type blogs. I love to see what others are working on. I believed for a time that Cross stitch was dying. But there are stitchers out there. and I am ever inspired by their work.


5 stitching blogs:


  1. Becky Bee She does such beautiful work
  2. Blacksheep's bit of the web Edgar is creative and thoughtful I like him a lot.
  3. Cherry Hill cottage I just love the designs that they post here. Gives me inspiration for things.
  4. The Stone Rabbit One of the Most creative blogs I read. I do like her style.
  5. All the beautiful things The photograph of her work is amazing and I am so impressed at the sheer quantity of projects she is able to do being the mom of two girls.

If your gonna increase your income you gotta be up to date on your topic of choice....

5 SharePoint blogs:

  1. Everything SharePoint - Steve is a great resource. I love the links he puts up he saves me a lot of hunting in my reading.
  2. Meet Dux - I just love this guy. He has energy, a balanced perspective, and something interesting to say.
  3. Office & SP Dev Cool resource. I also try to follow as many women developers as I can.
  4. End user SharePoint Always something going on and new here I get tons of ideas and things to try from this site.
  5. Woody Windischman excellent developer.

As I looked at my favorites I did see a trend emerge. I like a good story and I also like bloggers who link to other resources. I can get so lost linking to other things. I like learning new things and exploring the world.

5 great books for 2011 - I am not sure what to do here so I am going to ask you readers to make suggestions.

New year new reads... What can you recommend for me? I would love to hear about it.


I am not a financial professional. If you are looking for financial advise you should seek it elsewhere. If you would like to join me on the journey, walk with me for a while and be my friend......

No comments: