Monday, March 10, 2008

If I could turn back time....

In my reading this week I came across this post. It made me realize that I am grateful for the knowledge and wisdom I have acquired over time. My worst financial purchase was a service called network direct. I was a senior in college and a sales guy made a presentation to us. All I remember hearing was that you could purchase jewelry directly and save a lot of money. Can you tell what I was thinking. Engagement.... Stupid girl. I was hoping that my long time boyfriend would ask me to marry him. What a poor choice that was. I still remember him taking us to the bar afterwards and buying a round. I should have suspected something then. I even tried to use the coupon clipping service when I ended up living over seas. I think I paid $1200 for the membership. And I still dont know what I got for it except bills. It was so long ago. I am so glad I was not that girl any longer.

* Getting credit cards and not understanding them

I also came across a budget I had created in 2000. I was trying to pay off my Credit card. I had the idea right but the "payoff" amount was just too large per month. I should have known right then I was drowning. I don remember realizing that if I paid as much as I could close to the $300 I would be better off. If I could tell my old self that I wonder if I would have gotten out of debt? I think it was not until we moved in 2006 that I really felt enough pain that I have resolved to be debt free and live my life that way. It is a big change for me and I am very proud of myself.

* Not being serious enough about school

This one gets me too. I was not at all interested in what my grades were in college. I was reveling in being independent from my family and happy to be away from home. I wish I would have taken my grades seriously. Or gone on for more school right out of college. I didn't know what I wanted then. I hated competing and I was afraid to allow myself to shine. I wanted people not to notice me and then I didn't understand why no one really knew me. I skated through college with minimal study time. Now I am going to go back for my masters because I really do know what I want to do.

I don't regret my past I took the road less traveled as always. :-)

No comments: